Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chicago Cutlery Forum 8 Piece Knife Block Set

Chicago Cutlery Forum 8 Piece Knife Block Set

Chicago Cutlery Forum 8 Piece Knife Block Set Overview

  • 8-piece knife set: 8-inch chef's knife, 8-inch slicing knife, 8-inch bread knife, 5-inch utility knife, 3-1/2-inch paring knife, 3-inch peeler, 8-inch sharpening steel, and hardwood block
  • High-carbon stainless-steel blades; designed to resist rust and stains
  • Exclusive Taper Grind edges stay sharp and are easily re-sharpened
  • Ergonomic, stainless-steel handles with sleek, contemporary styling; full, forged bolsters for balance
  • Hand wash only; made in China; covered by lifetime warranty

Chicago Cutlery Forum 8 Piece Knife Block Set Review

I bought these for my girlfriend who later became my wife. They look great. They have had some spotting on them which was disappointing - I got stainless steel so that wouldn't happen. I will admit to leaving them in the sink and running the occasionally through the dishwasher. A scrubby pad and some elbow grease removed the stains pretty well.

Upon receipt, they were a bit dull, running over my sharpener a few extra times sharpened them up to "dangerous" levels. : They seem to stay fairly sharp over time, I usually try to run them once or twice through my sharpener before using them.

I have noticed on a couple of the knives, small chips have formed on the blade. I am extremely disappointed in that. However, it's slightly possible that this happened from dropping it in the dishwasher - but I think that's not very likely. It was never a problem on any other knives I have ever owned.

The balance and comfort of these knives is great. Overall, I'd buy them again.
I also purchased the chopping knife, which I'm happy with. I'm not a super skilled chef, but it works well. My biggest problem is that the block that they ship with it has no extra slots, so my chopping knife needs to go into a drawer. The other thing I don't care for is the sharpener they supply. I don't like "stick" or "rod" style sharpeners. Unless you are very skilled, you probably won't be able to get the angle perfect each time you use it.

Oh, the knifes also seem to be made out of one piece of metal, so it appears that there will be nothing to come apart over the years. That is awesome, too. I could be wrong about that though - they can make two pieces look like one pretty easily these days - but I think it is one piece.)

Because of chips and mild stains they get 4 stars. But I am generally satisfied overall. I hope these last many years.

Check Prices & Learn more for
 Chicago Cutlery Forum 8 Piece Knife Block Set